Old December 17th 03, 11:42 AM
Joe

Default salomon bindings / burton boards

(Arvin Chang) wrote in message . com...
I've owned both the Burton Mission bindings (two seeason ago) and the
Salomon SP4s (now). I actually had the exact oppositve problem... I
had Burton Missions on a Salomon board and wanted shift the bindings
along the longitudinal axis (nose to tail - you seem to be calling
this front to rear). However, the Burton plates only allowed for
toeside/heelside adjustment... to fix this I simply rotated the plate
90 degree and voila! Now I'm not sure what disk your SP5 came with,
but I just checked my SP4's and they can definitely do this... even
more so they looked like they are designed with this in mind because
the angle indicators have "0" degrees in all four directions...
compared to my Burtons which I had to "scratch/cut" in new angle
markers at the 90 degree locations. Are the SPX5 disc unable to be
rotated 90 degrees?

Arvin,
The binding disks have 2 (side to side) x 3 (frnt to rear) evenly
spaced rows. They will adjust toe/heel with a 4 hole pattern and the
middle row allows you to rotate 90 degree as you said and use the
burton pattern but as you know the way they are slotted, when you do
this the toe/heel adjustment becomes an frnt/rear adjustment.

I do actually feel a little like you in that my heelside transition
doesn't feel as instantaeous as my toeside... slow and awkward even...
maybe I should try it too... however - reading your post, one thing
that caught my eye is that your are increasing the forward lean on
your *back* foot. Increasing the forward lean of your highback does
help your heelsides (I have mine nearly at the max). However, when
initiating you heelside turn, you are mainly using your *front*
binding to bring the heelside edge (right behind the nose) into the
snow. So you would need to crank up the forward lean on the front
binding to transition to heelsides more quickly - especially if the
board isn't particularly torsionally stiff (although I think the
recent Burton Custom models are pretty good).

Arvin,
Are you sayin that heelside turns are initiated by the front foot and
toeside by the rear foot??? If this is the case I may be doing
something wrong. I can get good response on my heelside they way i'm
doing it now it just feels too awkward... too much work compared to
the other way.

Anyways... let me know how it goes... good luck!
--Arvin