Old November 12th 17, 08:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
BrritSki[_5_]

Default Modern Rugby Songs

On 11/11/2017 21:36, The Real Bev wrote:

Oopsie.Â* Didn't something like this happen to a big passenger jet
recently?Â* I remember -- nosewheel-down light didn't come on, so they
did a flyby of the terminal to find out if it was actually down or not.
Â*Or was that a movie?

It happened to my RAF Jet Provost training instructor. One morning he
told me that he wasn't going up with me and sent me off to do something
solo instead.
After about half an hour in the air I realised that I kept hearing my
instructor's call sign so I listened in while he was being asked for
fuels states etc. Then there was a general call for all other aircraft
to either land immediately or divert. I was near the airfield so came
home, jumped out and asked what was going on.
Apparently they were doing circuits and on one of them did not get 3
green lights to show that the landing gear was down and locked. They did
a fly-by and confirmed that one wheel was still up, so they burnt off
fuel and then came in for an emergency landing.
The touch down was superb - all wheels up to prevent cart-wheeling and
he held it about 6" off the tarmac until it stalled on. As soon as the
speed dropped a bit the canopy opened and the 2 figures were on the wing
and dropped off as soon as it was safe.
Not sure if the plane ever flew again, but there was no fire or obvious
damage apart from the scrapes.
Afterwards I learned that my fellow (Malaysian Air Force) student wasn't
at all worried about the situation but was very keen to eject for the
good experience