Old February 3rd 04, 04:56 PM
Matt Locker

Default Toko Iron temperature?

Griss:

Sorry I missed the smiley! I received mine as a gift so can't complain
too much - it's served me well over the years. Just a couple issues
such as this one.

I like the idea of the melt stick & Rob Bradlee's idea of the block with
thermometer cutout. I'll need to experiment given some extra
time...........

Matt

Griss wrote:

"Matt Locker" wrote in message

It would be great if I could just say "I set my iron to 75C."
Unfortunately Toko irons aren't marked in degrees, they are marked on a
scale from (I believe) 5-10. It's not very informative. I purchased a
wood-stove thermometer a few years ago to try to get a guage on the
temperature/scale relationship but it's not accurate enough to give me
any real information on the temperature. I guess I need a thermocouple
I can attach to my multimeter.

Any other ideas.

MOO,
Matt

Yea, I know...that's why I put the little smiley - trying to make a lame
joke about the irons that are marked w/o degrees and brag about my iron.
That's why the Holmenkol iron beckoned me way back when. Neither the Swix
and Toko irons I was looking at that day had degree markings, and it just
seemed to make sense to me to have them. But this was several years ago.

However, I do understand that the degree markings on my iron may or may not
be accurate - thus I use the old "hot enough to melt w/o smoking the wax"
method, and really try to avoid what I've read is the "redline" for bases -
135C / 275F Like I said, I usually use a setting quite a bit lower than
recommended on the wax package, anyway and think around 115-120C works OK
for hard stuff like CH4 or cold powder. I think it might be workable just
to note/chart the settings for each wax based on that?

Another suggestion: somewhere (probably an industrial hardware store) they
sell things called, I think, melt sticks that can be used to calibrate hot
things. A ski tech I know used one to determine the mark on his Toko iron
that is, I believe, 250F (~120C) and then estimated some other temps for the
other markings on his iron based on that. I think that works well too, and
some day I hope to check the temps on my iron, if I can find one of these
items. He can't remember where he bought it.

FWIW, Grissy