Old February 6th 09, 10:17 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Rob White

Default Grenoble to Serre Chevalier

If you go on the Serre Chev website there is a link to the Col traffic
conditions, I could see from there that it was no no-hoper and my son
(already there) called to confirm. I think you could also get traffic info
from the info desk or car hire desk at the airport. Its 96 miles through
the Col and 151 via the motorway and the Frejus Tunnel. OK it's an extra 60
miles, but if the motorway is OK you'll bash round to Cesana in no time.
It's likely to only be tricky from Cesana where you turn off the motorway
and start going up the mountains on the A road, but they tend to keep it
clear as it is the main way in from Turin. We were there in the evening and
did not need to use the chains as all the earlier traffic had compacted the
snow for us, but from what I heard chains were essential earlier on. BTW
the tunnel toll is 33.30e, for a car and 44e for a mini-bus

Have a good time

Rob

"Snorer" wrote in message
Thanks Rob, That is what concerns me. I was in Chamonix on the 24th and
couldn't get up a mild slope to my hotel in Les Houches which is quite
low. I hadn't prebooked chains and couldn't get any added to the hire at
Geneva.I don't know the southern alps
At what stage did you find the col was closed and do you have to go back
north of Grenoble to pick up the tunnel road?

Thabks for your help, peter
"Rob White" wrote in message
I did the same journey on the 24th January. The pass was closed, so
chains were irrelevant. We had to take the motorway and go round the
Frejus tunnel and then via Cesana and Montgenevre. We did that without
chains but it was very a very close run thing. Coming back last Saturday
the Col was completely clear. We wasted £55 on hiring chains with the
car, but it would have been bloody silly not to have had them. Unless you
can guarantee the road conditions you really must have chains.

Rob

PS snow conditions were awesome - evidently the best since 1972!!

"Snorer" wrote in message
Hi, I plan to drive from Grenoble to Villeneuve in 2 weeks and have been
told that the highest point of the journey over the Col du Lautaret is
2000m. Is this often a problem passing or is the road usually clear. Do
you think chains are advised. I arrive 10.00pm so would have little
chance to raid the supermarket for chains. Any thoughts would be
appreciated. Thanks