Old April 2nd 05, 06:33 PM
Dave

Matt wrote:
There certainly seems to be a vocal group of supporters here. I am
feeling sorely tempted.

One thing to keep in mind that it's a pretty stiff board and is in its
element when cruising at a decent clip. As a beginner, I think it
might challenge you a bit at first as compared to the (likely floppy)
rental boards, but in the end you'll like it.

BTW, I learned about 8 years ago on a K2 Eldorado 169 (I weighed about
40 lbs more than my current 210) and have stayed with stiff, freeride
boards since then (a Ride Timeless '67 and then the Donek Wide '65).

The Donek Phoenix might be more your style, though the Wide is a great
deal at $100 less than the Phoenix. My advice would be to perhaps find
a board that suits you on closeout this year, or wait until next season
and see if you can demo a Donek. Personally, I like to buy my gear at
the start of the season. There are some modest early-season deals and
you get to enjoy your gear right then and there. End of season deals
can be great, but availability of size and models really dwindle and
you don't get to really use the gear until next season. My two cents.

-Dave