Old December 30th 12, 10:11 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Climbing on rollers and on snow

On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 18:47:48 -0800 (PST)
Larry wrote:

Skate rollerski uphill work this past fall finally allowed me to do
intermediate hills on trails around Quebec city this week. However,
while enjoying my newfound endurance, I was also disappointed to find
that my climbing is very assymetric - that is, I have a very strong
preference for the right side....

I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and how to approach
the problem which seems to be rooted in physiology.

Various sorts of asymmetries are common and I think are likely to
remain so to some degree even with work on them. By analogy, consider
that each arm and hand has types of things it does better and worse,
and all the practice in the world isn't going to basically change
that.

That said, there are ways to diminish the differences, as Ben points
out. For my less-favored leg, I used to do a lot of long distance
no-pole V2-alt and V1 on that side, switching for a few minutes when it
got tired, then coming back for more. Gym work to lessen the muscle
differences also helps to some degree.

Gene