Old October 14th 11, 06:36 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
PipL

Default Ski transfers: Flaine

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 10:25:11 +0200, Ace wrote:

Hmm. I've driven to a stopover that was within a couple of hours of Flaine,
but further west, so probably a bit quicker direct, however, as I only cruise
at about 70-ish (else go deaf),

Get a less pikey car?

It doesn't cruise the motorways particularly well, which I do regret, but it's
reliable, robust, easy(ish) to service, and happily pulls a topper mower round
a field. Besides which, at seven grand, it was the least pikey motor vehicle
I've ever bought by a considerable margin and I can't really justify buying
another car when I only use it once a week or so. Bikes are, of course, a
different matter.

Not only that but it's got selectable four-wheel drive, so I can play silly
buggers in 2WD when it snows.

So there.

I'd have to take *really* early ferry to get
to Flaine before the apartment rental place closes.

Can't they arrange a later key pickup, given that as a regular
Flaine-ite you'd know where you were going?

There is actually one advantage to using a midway stopover, I've discovered:
last year I did a 'long week', where I stopped relatively close to Flaine on
the way out, so I had three-quarters of a day's skiing on arrival, then on the
second Saturday, drove to another stopover after skiing, so I had almost 8
days of skiing[1].

Not helped by having to take slightly longer breaks as I travel solo.

Wuss.

Pbpbpbpbp![2]

[1] Iin that particular case, I didn't actually stay the whole day on the last
Saturday on account of the pain I was in. But the theory was sound.

[2] Reasoned argument, see.
--

Pip