Old December 7th 06, 12:50 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Gareth Evans

Default Burton Vapor

On Dec 4, 2:13 am, "lonerider" wrote:
Gareth Evans wrote:
I've noticed a lot of Burton Vapors being sold on ebay for just under half
their retail value? Where do these people get hold of the boards? I've rung
up most stores and they are selling for around $930 - $950.

GarethProbably purchased them in bulk at the end of last season as retailers

want to drop inventory and sell it at margin (that's my best guess).

Burton Vapors might be an awesome board... but you have to notice they
never actually post the weight of the board to back up their claims. I
found one article in Transworld Snowboarding that mentions that a
Burton Vapor 160 weigh 5.6 pounds. That's pretty light to be sure as
most boards that length weigh over 6.5 lbs. However, my Tanker 04/05
172 weighs 6.1 lbs and the 06/07 Tankers (again nearly half a foot
longer) weighs ~5.2 lbs at most.

They cost nearly as much as the Vapor, but with none of the Burton hype
(the diea that if it's from Burton and it's pricey, it must be good) -
I would demo a Vapor before buying one, because I'm pretty you
shouldn't trust anything you hear or say about the board until you
actually try it yourself.

Thanks for the information. I'm going to look at some boards this
weekend. The boards I'm most interested in are the Vapor, Custom X or
Ride Timeless. I'm concerned about the strength of the Vapor and how
much punishment a board like this can take? I heard that Burton don't
warranty the use of rails if anything were to get damaged. Also, with
the board being so light, will this make it choppy at high speeds?

Gareth

Gareth