Old August 18th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
SteveH

Default Ski safari ideas

I'm pondering the idea of a ski safari type adventure this coming
winter. I'll probably go with Freshtracks (the SCGB's travel company),
as they seem to have a few interesting itineraries on offer. However, I
just thought I'd post this to see if anyone has any interesting ideas
for DIY safaris.

For what it's worth my definition of a ski safari is a ski trip
spanning several resorts with most or all of the travel by ski, but
with the minimum of uphill skinning / boot packing - lets say roughly
no more than 1 hour's uphill on any given day - the aim is to use lifts
and roads to gain height (I guess that's the main difference between a
safari and "proper" ski touring). Accomodation could be either hotels,
B&Bs etc in the valley and/or mountain huts. By definition they involve
a lot of off-piste skiing:-)

Looking at the map and based on my fairly limited knowledge of the area
it looks like there might be an intersting possibility of linking the
Monterosa area / Macugnaga / Sass-Fee / Zermatt & Cervinia and then
back to Monterosa. Is this do-able? I know with a heli-drop you can ski
down to Zermatt and then back to Champoluc in a day but I'm thinking of
a more wandering itinerary over a few days.

Any suggestions....?

Cheers,
Steve