Old October 11th 08, 08:59 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Lars

Default When does skiing tend to start in germany / austria?

Ian Blake schreef:
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 01:03:54 -0700 (PDT), Dave wrote:

Hi,

When does skiing tend to start at the german and austrian end of the
alps? I have some work to do in Munich, and I may be able to delay
them a few weeks, possibly until november but probably not until
december. Is there any chance I will be able to get some sliding in?

Thanks.

Obergurgl are opening 14th November according to their website. Resorts all have
an official opening date which you can usually find on their website.

It really depends on the weather. If there is no snow resorts still open but
you can not ski. If there is early snow many resorts will open some lifts early
(maybe just on the weekends) for the locals.

I can not comment upon the reliability of early snow in Austria beyond, "Better
than France".

For your information, French Glaciers were closed several weeks last few
weeks for skiing. Austria had glaciers opened.
I am doing seasonal openings for about 7 years now in Austria and there
was only one snowless opening in all of these years. And even then I
could ski pretty good (Ischgl).
So I don't agree with you that reliabilty of early snow in Austria is
better then in France. It totally depends where you are going.
Today hintertux has 36 km opened with over 1 meter of fresh snow.
Tignes only has 4 or 5 lifts openend with 30 cm of snow.
Les deux Alpes isn't even open!