Old March 6th 06, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the responses so far!

I was up til 3am last night reading all about technique on Ken's website,
awesome stuff!
Most of it seems to translate decently to my crosskates. I know I'm doing
things totally wrong.

I don't know what it is about rollerski's, there's even a semi-local club
into that, but the insane speeds don't appeal to me too much. I stayed in
mountainbiking because I did't like the high-speed road-cycling crashes. Yes
I do now "train" on asphalts, but most of the time in protective
MTB-downhill gear :-)
I think I'll be satisfied if I can use these Crosskates or a similar product
which may prove more practical, as long as I average better speed than when
running. I'm not there yet though, not by far. Totally undevelopped specific
muscles after years of mostly mountainbiking, few else.
The rollerski clubs do seem great to get tuition when in the snow, in my own
language, and maybe join their ski camps.
If I ever get to a level that satisfies me (national top level is my aim,
maybe big televised snow races, I know, stupid), I'm not sure Rollerskiing
is my thing. Those speeds...I really wonder why I wouldn't just pick
speedskating and do skeelering all year long, just no poles. Probably easier
to learn also, especially after reading on Ken's site how much goes into a
bit of forward motion.
But this snow thing...it's not over-the-top scary like snowboarding and
alpine skiing, addresses my genenic ability to produce lots of power during
anything over 5minutes, and my fellow countrymen seem unable to act at
international level. Why would we win "all" speedskating and send zero XC
Skiers to the Olympics?

XC skating seems to also ask for a variety of other sports to keep fitness
up, a perfect reason to improve my running and swimming game, both about
muscle coordination. I'm starting some run-bike-runs now also, with XC Ski
maybe even winter triathlons become an option.

The pole tips that nordic walkers use, I'm going to destroy those
crosskating over (snowless) fireroads, right?

Maybe if I'm going to buy ski's some day anyway, with those boots bought I
might as well get rollerski frames to use them on. I dunno, the speeds freak
me out. I like my bikes better for that, and am not 18 anymore, hope to stay
in one piece...

Thanks for any other ideas/tips,

"Alex" schreef in bericht
ups.com...
Hi Jan,

I am a British XC skier, in a part of the country which doesn't get
much snow :-(

I know there are some groups of XC skiers in the Netherlands. I don't
have contact details but if you try your National Ski Association ,
they should be able to put you in touch with local groups and teaching.

I can't advise about roller-ski-ing much, as I don't do it anymore.
However, I do suggest you get some lessons before you try to do much by
yourself. You are likely to pick up habits which will spoil your
snow-ski-ing, if you don't learn to do it the right way from the start.

I know the London Region Nordic ski club holds regular roller-ski
events and there are several Netherlanders who attend. However, unless
you are in London anyway, you are probably better off spending your
money on finding some snow!

This page is made by a roller-ski instructor in London and you will
find some helpful links there.
http://www.rollerski.co.uk/links.html