Old November 7th 15, 08:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Training polarization (Stephen Seiler)

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 19:13:08 -0800 (PST)
mnhoser wrote:

Update. I got that Garmin monitor and the data showed me my HRs were
odd. I figured out that the beta blockers I was on were really
messing with my HRs. I got onto another med that is a beta 1 blocker
(not a beta 1 and 2 blocker) and that really helped. (BTW, it's for
glaucoma.) The beta 2 blocker was making me bonk and gain weight, and
have weird energy levels since it blocks gluconeogensis (glycogen to
glucose pathway).

Anyway, I've been looking at Seilor again and forwarding his info to
a training partner. BTW, I read through the thread. My VO2 max tests
were when I was about 40. I was tested twice about 1 year apart: 67
and 75. The first time I exclusively sat on the bike, the second time
I stood (and I was lighter), which is more natural for me.

Yeah, different activities, different test results, as I understand it,
although there are different formulas depending on the activity:
http://certification.acsm.org/metabolic-calcs.

The relation between weight and VO2max has apparently long been a source
of contention in the athletic world. There's a good summary of the issue
and an alternative approach to body mass at
http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-sc...onal-to-weight

Gene