Old November 6th 13, 04:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Default Have skis got longer again?

Ace wrote:

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:48:55 +0000,
(The Older Gentleman) wrote:

Ace wrote:

My first skis, in ~1994, were 205s. Seems incredible, but there really
was a general belief that longer was better, although very few people
could demonstrate why that should be the case, except at racer level.

Back in the day, when wooden skis demonstrated a remarkable coefficient
of friction, you needed long skis if you wanted to move at all.

I guess. But there you're talking about pre metal-edged ones, so 1920s
and earlier, I'd have thought. And I know you may remember them, but I
don't ;-)

My 1940s era wooden skis have no metal edge.

When and where metal edges came in I could not say for certain, but
probably mid 1950s