Old November 11th 04, 04:02 PM
Dominique Foucart

NIALLBRUCE avait énoncé :
Any chat on whether the "premium" skis offered by most hire-shops are worth
the extra? I know that it's not the most urgent topic of discussion but it
affects everyone. On average, the "premium" skis demand a 40 pound premium.
I've read the sales pitch from the manufacturers and hire companies but would
be interested to hear about someone's own experience.

Are the 'technological' advancements significant? If so, how do they affect
our skiing? Is there a material difference?

Do they affect different people in different ways ie. depending on their
ability or style of skiing?

I don't know what standard of skiier I am. I'm just learning how to carve.
Should I opt for the "premium" option?? (nb, I am a student - poor!!)

Has anyone tried the twin-tipped skis? I've seen a few kids use them at the
local dry slope. Do they allow freestyle skiing without any sacrifices? In
particular, do they affect the traditional 'freeride' functionality?

Thanks for any replies!

Niall

It will be my 30st year of ski this year (from one to three/four weeks
a year). I have owned my skis until 10 years ago, since then, I am
renting premiums (although I consider myself as an intermediate skier).
It may seem stupid, but considering that when you own your ski you have
to get them "prepared" (and most often "repaired" every time you go (so
for me 2 to 4 times a year) at an average cost of euros 30 (ca 20 for
farting + every 2 times 50 in total for repairs), I consider that with
the premium I get the technologically best ski (I could never afford
the typical 700 euro per pair for the premium in new), at a decent
cost...

But this is of course just my humble opinion ;-)

Dominique

--
Dominique Foucart
Site for hiking trails in Giffre Valley: