Old February 28th 05, 04:22 AM
Gene Goldenfeld

I believe that setting tracks is normal on hills where there is room.
Part of the fun of skiing is being able to stride up the hill as far as
one's kick will go and to ride down the hills in the tracks. Even
skaters sometimes use the tracks for downhills (if the trail allows
skating). Plus, how can your novice and intermediate skiers improve if
you take away choices for dealing with hills? Playing to the lowest
common denominator of ability means that's who your area will attract.
Reputations for grooming are passed around among skiers and tend to
stick.

Gene

TheGroomer wrote:

I am a trail groomer. It's hard to determine what is "normal" in terms
of practices, but I don't set tracks on hills - its easier to
herringbone up or snowplow down if no tracks are present. There is a
lot of differing opinion on this though. As a very non-expert skier
with no edges, I have been known to put my poles between my skis and
ride them like a witch's broom down the hill. Hey - whatever gets you
there! It's not about looking good....