Old January 8th 04, 01:03 PM
Ken Roberts

Default XC skiing in Alpine countries (was Falun 2x15km double pursuit results)

My favorite ski mountaineering partner in Germany just got interested in
skate skiing. And my favorite ski mountaineering partner in France has
already been ski-skating for years (ever since his grip wax failed one year
half way thru the Transjurassienne). And less than a year ago I myself
suddenly got excited for ski skating, when I discovered how magical it could
be.

Davide Tosi wrote:
The first seven are all from Alpine nations. The first
scandinavian is just 10th, the first norwegian only 12th.

Both ski mountaineering and ski skating offer a special combination of
athletic competence and magical gliding. They also go together well because
of how they are different: high mountain ski tours can be only be done in
favorable weather and snow conditions, and skating uses a wider variety of
muscle groups -- so you can get out and have a fun time skating on the days
in between the good mountain touring days.

Come to think of it, I know some pretty good American ski mountaineers in
Seattle and Tahoe who also like ski skating. Norway has some ski
mountaineering, but seems like most of what is accessable for quick daytrips
there is not of the same quality as the great alpine countries of France,
Switzerland, Austria, Italy.

So my current favorite ski vacation spot is around Chambery, France -- with
the very fun rolling-terrain skating of La Feclaz just above a big green
valley with vineyards surrounded by interesting mountains -- plus within
two-hours driving time, the world's greatest set of daytrip-accessible and
multi-day ski mountaineering tours. And just in case I ever get bored with
La Feclaz, there is gentle+spectacular Bessans and three other XC centers in
daytrip driving range.

But I'm only a beginner at discovering ski skating / mountaineering combi
spots in the Alps.

What's a place in Austria for combining fun track skating with lots of ski
mountaineering tours within an hour or two of driving? How about Italy?

Ken