Old May 20th 13, 06:47 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Rollerskis: Placement of Wheels and Cutting Bindings...

On Sun, 19 May 2013 15:59:03 -0700 (PDT)
Jon wrote:

I've been "struggling" with two questions on setting up roller-skis
and would appreciate any input:

- On bindings, consensus seems to be to mount as close to rear wheel
as possible (at least for classical skiing). I've got Salomon
bindings and wondered about cutting off the plastic on the rear /
sides of the binding--this gives me a few more centimeters to play
with (cause rear plate of binding can fit between fork mounts).
Just wondered if anyone has tips on cutting that plastic without
cracking it....(if possible at all)

- On wheels, I'm wondering about combining two different wheel speeds
on one classic rollerski (one advantage of Swenor's seems to be that
wheels are very easy to change). If I'm combining a "Slow" and "Very
Slow" wheel, should I buy a "Very Slow" for front or (ratched) rear?

As always, any comments appreciated...

I thought binding placement is determined by boot size, rather than how
many plastic binding pieces there are.

Two speeds is tricky, because one is always going to feel lagging vs.
the other. My experience was the front determines the initial feel of
speed. I'd start with the faster there, otherwise why not go equal. The
other thing to consider is whether or not you're lower legs are ready
for "very slow." I got injured trying it, and didn't feel a thing
wrong until afterwards.

Gene