Old February 16th 04, 10:05 PM
Mike T

Default Excessive Leg Strain Carving at High Speeds

It's hard to say without seeing you do it. At risk of
flame-throwers,
you might try dumping the duck stance. I haven't seen many duck

people
carve at all, so that might be making it harder than it should be.

No, no, no, no, and no. Did I say no?

Duck stance is EXCELLENT stance for carving. I can't say how much
my carving improved since I switched from +30/+5 to +15/-15.
Both regular and switch for that matter. And I've seen several
people switch to duck and their carving improved as well.

Sharkie, I'd like to hear some details on how you are doing this!

When I see people carve in a duck stance, they are bending deep at the
knees and hips... using the angles in the joints to generate edge angle.
I see it work very well in halfpipes and terrain parks, and on trails
that are pitched about the same as your typical pipe or park -
generally, greens and gentle blues.

But on steeper terrain, I usually see them skidding every few turns to
scrub speed, or even carving toeside, skidding heel. They also seem to
have trouble carving different radius turns... they pretty much carve
all one radius.

A more forward stance allows one to drop the hip into the turn which
puts a lot of power into the turn, flexing the board harder, and making
a tighter turn. I can see how a duck stance lets you simply bend
deeply at the knees, creating the edge angle, but I'm having trouble
seeing how you make a really powerful turn. Please educate me!

Mike T