Old January 20th 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default What are typical low end temperatures for XC?

On Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:05:55 -0800 (PST), DirtRoadie
wrote:

OK, maybe this is a silly question, but while I live in an area with
regular winters (a "ski town," so to speak- SW Colorado ) the typical
temperatures put us in "banana belt" when compared to other winter
climes. While we have been getting regular -10 F nights, a day which
maxes out at 15-20 degrees F is considered VERY cold here. (and even
then we often have abundant warm sun.)

This season we have been having weather colder than we have seen in
quite some time acompanied by (mostly) much welcomed snow.

In any case, what is the coldest typical daytime temperature that
those of you in other parts of the country or world typically ski at?
And when I say "typically" I mean just that - not some extreme that
you experienced at one time or another.

I "enjoy" skiing down to 5F (assuming normal wind). Don't have a lot
of opportunities for snow, so it's not easy to avoid cold. But this
weekend is an example: my wife and I were going to drive far to a
place where the high today was predicted to be about 0F. So we
cancelled the trip. But if it was a little warmer we probably would
have gone.

As if turns out, it looks like it's is going to get a little warmer
there....so I wished we'd gambled and gone.