Old August 2nd 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Henriksen

Default In search of an uphill

"tassava" skrev i melding
oups.com...
On Jul 23, 5:29 pm, Matt Liebsch wrote:
Ok you east metro skiers, I need to find an uphill with at least 5min
of sustained climbing (doesn't need to be super steep, but lower
traffic and the ability to ski back down is a plus), because there is
nothing over on the Westside of the metro greater than 2.5min. I am
hoping to find something a little closer than Afton, maybe in St. Paul
or nearby. Ahvo mentioned something to me about uphill near 61? Any
recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm not sure the hills are steep enough for a real skier like Matt,
but for a plodder like me, some of the rolling roads here in
Northfield, about 45 minutes south of St. Paul, are pretty good, and
maybe worth a trip to try. I particularly like the hill that starts at
Kane Avenue and 90th Street E. (a.k.a. Wall Street Road), east of
town, and heads west; it's about a ten-minute DP for me, with pitches
at the end that might be a five-minute ride. Here it is in Google Maps
(I hope):

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...f4dd2aba83db69

The caveat is that I've never skied Afton, so this hill (and the
others on this road, heading west toward Northfield) might be
worthless, comparatively.

If there are lack of uphills, you might try to a workout against the wind on a
windy day.

--
Terje Henriksen
Kirkenes