Old January 30th 07, 01:41 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard

Default Determining Whether Right Footed or Goofy Footed

On Jan 29, 10:46 am, wrote:
On Jan 29, 1:29 am, No Way wrote:

Hi, I just purchased a board for my daughter and the rep at the store
had determined that she was right footed. My daughter told me that
she was pushed from behind by the rep and her right foot was the foot
that had kicked out first to catch her balance.

So, the installer had put her bindings installed such that her right
foot is at the rear. I thought that if you were deemed to be right
footed, the right foot should be placed in the front or, am I out of
it?

Also, if it helps, when my daughter plays soccer, her right foot is
the dominant foot. This does help, and I think it's the best indicator. The "push" test

and the "slide on the floor" test might work, but they might not be
reliable if done just once or twice. Kicking a ball over and over
again mostly with her right foot is pretty nearly conclusive evidence
that she is right-footed. Right-footed = regular, so right foot in
back on the board. Of course, as Neil suggests, if she uses a duck
stance she'll be able to ride switch (backward) easily too, which for
her would be right foot in front, left in back.

Joe Ramirez

Well, now you guys have me thoroughly confused as to what is going on
here. If I understand this thread, it seems that most people agree
that whatever test you use, eg sliding, push test, kick, etc, the foot
you lead with in the test should go in the BACK of the board? That
is exactly opposite of how I understood all these tests, which we
agree are of qustionable validty work. My understanding is that
whichever foot you lead with in the test, indicates which foot should
then likely go in the FRONT of the board.