Old November 17th 04, 05:12 AM
rosco

Dmitry wrote:

"Peter Cole" wrote

I think shells suck. They all trap sweat like crazy, even the "breathable"
ones. Unless it's raining, I'm wearing fleece with a wind vest, much
cheaper and tune-able.

You got to be kidding. Or your "unless" should include
"cold and/or windy". Where do you ski?

In the rain, it doesn't matter, you'll get wet
either way. You just want to keep running water off your body.

Not true. I boarded in the pouring rain last season
wrapped in good shells (jacket - Salomon Somatic, pants -
Arc'teryx Minuteman) and all of my layers other than the
shell were dry after two hours of this misery

I'm with Dmitry. I use a shell and up to three layers underneath plus
balaclava, if necessary. I carry a daypack that I use to stash layers
as the day goes on and retrieve layers for the last few runs, as
necessary. The shell and the 1st layer remain constant, but your shell
should have good pit vents to give you that warm and fuzzy feeling.

Skiing with a daypack is a whole other subject, so those of you who are
about to dis me for skiing with a pack inbounds... bite me!!

RAC

RAC