Old January 17th 07, 05:06 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

Default Stupid helmet question ...

Adrian D. Shaw wrote:
Felly sgrifennodd Mike Clark :
The other thing that the study threw up was that those who regarded
themselves as risk takers were more likely to wear a helmet than
those who regarded themselves as cautious skiers.

The seat-belt effect? When seat belts were made compulsory in the UK,
injuries increased (people felt safer so took more risks), though
serious injuries decreased.

I am sure a similar effect can apply to helmets. However, I wonder if
the greater tendency to take risks among helmet wearers may increase
the overall serious injury rate in skiing. Yes, head injuries are
serious, but so are back injuries, neck injuries and others, which a
helmet cannot protect against.

If I were the type of skier who slalom-raced off piste through the
forests of the lower slopes, I guess I would wear a helmet. But
anything which makes me feel safer is likely to make me more
reckless, and I'd rather feel my true vulnerability.

I don't understand this "reckless behavior to compensate for feeling safer"
idea, why should a helmet make you feel safer? I am just as loath to hit the
ground wether I have my helmet (or other padding/protection for that matter)
on or not. I don't know about anyone else, but when I'm about to hit the
ground I don't have time to think about what I'm wearing.

The only time I can think off when I behave differently when wearing a
helmet is in a Slalom course, When I am quite happy to headbutt a pole when
wearring a helmet but endeavour to keep my head away from the pole if I'm
not. but a face guard would be equally effective in this case.

--
Chris *:-)