Old January 17th 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
MoonMan

Default Stupid helmet question ...

Alun Evans wrote:
On Wed 17 Jan '07 at 14:25 Ace wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:12:06 +0000, Alun Evans
wrote:

On Wed 17 Jan '07 at 12:38 Mike Clark wrote:

Have any resorts collected data on proportions of skiers using
helmets and also the proportions of skiers injured in accidents
and whether or not they were wearing a helmet?

I personally know two head trauma incidents (one with helmet, fine;
other, unconscious), though they were both snow-boarders, which
does seem to lend itself to head-plants.

I've never worn a helmet for skiing or cycling, and am sceptical
about their efficacy. I work on the basis that I've fallen loads of
time, including head plants, and never damaged my head, so the sort
of impact I'd like to protect against is much greater than those I've
experienced.

Indeed. I had the same thoughts, though after a couple of close
scrapes with branches, I decided to give it a try, and it's not too
bad. Nice and toasty when it's cold too.

snip

Anyhoo, your sample size is clearly too small to draw conclusions
from

Indeed, which is why I didn't...

- I've personally witnessed dozens of ski and board accidents wear
the head has made contact with sme other surface or object and never
seen any major trauma - doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that in
all of the cases I've witnessed the wearing of a helmet would have
provided no benefit.

I don't want to turn this into a helmet-wars argument, such as used
to come around periodically on the cycling newsgroups (probably
still do, but I've not been active there for years). I would
certainly never try to persuade anyone that they're not a good idea,
as long as no-one tells me that I should wear one;-)

Well, it's more the legal aspects that should worry you, i.e. when a
resort tells you to wear one, or your insurers do. (Particularly in
the US).

I think it's also the case that FIS Slalom racers *must* wear one now?

Yep, the regulations have just changed so that hemets must be worn for all
disciplines

I wear mine for racing/training and when it's cold, it's far better than a
hat.

--
Chris *:-)