Old December 21st 04, 04:12 PM
MattB

lal_truckee wrote:
MattB wrote:

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
snip

As with just about anything else, keeping your body mostly pointed
down the
mountain while your skis are doing whatever they need to do is
important.
This is where pole planting comes in; if you reach out with your pole
and
"tag" the mogul around which you plan to turn, it gets your body up
front and
facing forward.

This is huge, as well as the general hand position (think cafeteria
tray) you need to have to successfully tap each bump. "Hands!" is
probably the one thing I heard the most from any bump coach I've
worked with.

Just add: drive the ski tips down to maintain snow contact and I think
she's got it.

To recap - effective mogul skiing technique includes:
keep the boobs pointed down the fall line, shoulders level.
keep the hands in front and level.
reach with the poles (stay ahead of the skis.)
drive the ski tips down (extend; maintain snow contact.)
get some young knees.

It's funny, I forget all of these tips after not being coached for the
last decade. I'd like to think I just do them all naturally now, but the
truth is probably more like I just do most of them naturally and learn
to compensate for other bad habits that creep back in without someone
shouting at me while I ski.
It is nice to ski without being shouted at. Unless it's shouting like
"Woo-hoo! Yeah! Nice!". But that makes my helmet tighter.

Matt