Old December 20th 04, 11:47 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-20, lal_truckee penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

But I don't want a ski that will perform optimally in all conditions ... I
want a ski that will perform decently in most. I don't know if that's
enough of a concession to be realistic, though.

Here's a video that shows why you don't need edges, or even bases, on a
powder ski - look at the about half way point in the video (first half is
somebody tobogganing.)

http://jacksonhole.com/movies/012702.html

Gawd I love his expression when he pauses for air...

Nice. Seems like it would more accurately called "snow-floating" than
"skiing" ...

I've had the floaty sensation once in my life in powder; every other time,
I've had the "drown-y" sensation. I have this huge fear of loss of control in
powder. Then again, I'm also a bit claustrophobic; I wonder if that has
something to do with it?

--
monique
Longmont, CO