Old February 26th 09, 02:38 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Default First time on a board, wish me luck....

Switters wrote:
On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 02:10:32 GMT, doetnietcomputeren
allegedly wrote:

Any newbie tips received with thanks.

You'll find this place much quieter and less volatile than the other
place. :-)

Neil's covered the staying dry bit. You might also consider some knee
pads and maybe some padding down your butt. You'll fall over a lot
at the start, and whilst it's important to learn to fall properly,
you'll still hit your knees and arse quite a lot. Protecting them a
little means you won't be so sore at the end of the day.

Having a hot tub after can help.

Write-off the evening, you'll be spent.

Stick with it. There'll be 2 or 3 days of falling over, frustration
and pain. At the end of it, it clicks and nirvana awaits.

The butt pad is one of the best things you can have. It keeps you warm and dry
through lots of sitting on the snow. I cut a blue foam camping pad 18" x 24".
Cut an 8" "T" from the bottom edge. 8" up, with a 4" top, rounding the edges of
the top, and reinforce with duct tape. Slip it under your bibbs as you put them
on. The "T" allows the foam to wrap around the back of your legs. This will
avoid a lot of potential bruises too.

And wear a helmet. It cuts down on whiplash when you hit hard on your back, by
limiting how far back your head goes before it hits the snow.