Old March 16th 05, 02:20 PM
Neil Gendzwill

fotoobscura wrote:

Skii's take up less surface area. Less surface area == less friction
== more speed. There really is no arguing that.

Actually there's quite a lot of arguing that. I don't deny that skis
are faster, better racing tools but surface area isn't the reason. In
fact, my 200 cm Tanker snowboard has more surface area than any other
snow tool I can think of off-hand but in terms of pure glide it stomps
all over most skis. This is measured by the number of people I pass
just gliding by on cat tracks. Downhill racers are looking for the most
speed but use the longest, widest skis.

As far as who's fastest down the hill in recreational mode - depends
entirely on conditions. If it's an icy bump run, the skier probably
wins. If it's waist deep powder and I'm on the Tanker - sayonara, baby.

But most of all, it's the driver, not the equipment. I pass damn near
everybody, skiis or snowboard. That's why my wife made me get a helmet.

Neil