Old February 8th 05, 12:51 PM
funkraum

Ace wrote:
wrote:
Ace wrote:

[...]
Not done Engelburg yet this season, and unlikely to do so now, as my
schedule's getting quite full. Didn't ski this weekend, due to
sprained ankle[1] and am off to Meiringen with some friends next
weekend.

[...]

Admirers of Conan-Doyle ?

Something like that, I believe. Remind me of the connection, will you,
as the only thing I was aware of was the fight at the Reichenbach
falls, which is miles away.

There are several Reichenbach (one further back down the valley from
the Jungfrau region where the Fritschi factory is located).

The Reichenbachfall is

http://www.reichenbachfall.ch/

Other information is at

http://www.sherlockholmes.ch/main.html

http://www.sherlock-holmes.org.uk/th...gen_museum.htm

Holmes is well served on the web in general.

I have never taken 101 Conan-Doyle / Holmes, but bear in mind that
followers of Sherlock Holmes display a zealotry which matches that of
the religious and the scale of the their disappointment will be
commensurate with the heights of their zeal.

If they wish to approach the falls I would strongly suggest the
following:

Obtain the 1:25,000 of the area. Proceed up the left hand side (east)
side of the falls via the footpath, preferably in darkness or during a
rainstorm, or both. This means that their appreciation of place will
not be interrupted by the stupid rack railway and the rubber-necking
tourists which it contains, and the imagination can be left free to
populate the darkness with the characters and events of those times.

The railway ascends the right-hand side of the falls and from its
head, you can look over the gorge to the place where Holmes and
Moriarty struggle. The place from which they fall is marked with a
bronze plaque affixed to the rockface. When you ascend the left hand
side of the falls on foot, you reach this place.

In darkness, when ascending, stay clear of the edge of the track as it
is collapsing. It is also a good idea to stop at the end of the track,
which appears suddenly, otherwise you join Homes and Moriarty.

To reach the start of the footpath which ascends the left hand side,
from Meiringen find the station for rack railway, which is east of the
town and square.

Now travel east again from the station, rejoining the same road, and a
short distance along the road until you see a road to your right
disappearing between some buildings and heading up the mountain. The
road switchbacks up the mountain side and the footpath crosses the
fields to cut-off the bends. There are signposts to help you.