Old February 4th 04, 12:15 AM
David Dermott

Default Building a kicksled

On 3 Feb 2004, Jason G Tucker wrote:

I have a couple of questions about the runners. I tried a Crossled a
couple years ago on some groomed x-country trails with the snow
runners and it went great. I'm considering making this kicksled with
wood or wood and plastic runners of about 35-50mm in width. The metal
runners seem as though they would only be effective on ice or very
hard snow. Is this the case?

Yes. Ice and packed snow is kind of conditions a "spark" is meant for.
But metal on ice is so much faster and more fun than plastic on snow!
Most of our winters we have snow, followed by rain, then re-freezing
so we often have optimal kicksledding conditions. But this
winter (so far) we've just had cold, dry, loose snow.

The plastic runners are available in 2 widths - 30 mm and 50 mm
(cost about $20). The wider they are, the stiffer and more difficult
to turn. The plastic runners are designed to fit on 5mm wide rails
so use that size when building ( 3/16 inch should be close enough)
if you want to use the commercial plastic runners.

We frequently get heavy lake-effect
snow so there is rarely open ice and the tracks we set get covered up
quickly. Also what is the deepest snow you can use a kicksled in and
still have fun?

Well, if your boots sink much above the ankles or it is difficult to
walk in the snow, it will be difficult to use a kicksled, no matter
how wide the runners are.

--

David Dermott , Wolfville Ridge, Nova Scotia, Canada
email: