Old December 2nd 05, 11:02 AM

geraint wrote:
Hi,

Going off to Quebec early March next year and wanted to go to Le Massif and
possible Mt Saint-Anne skiing... Is there enough between the two resorts to
keep us happy for a week or so? Happy on all european reds, and most blacks
too. Any other areas around there worth a visit?

Also, has anyone got any top tips about a good place to stay
(town/village?!) which would be a good base? With a day trip or two to
Quebec city too? And preferably self-catering maybe as well?!?!

Also, I'm wondering what would a drive to Montreal be like at that time of
year? Treacharous? A bad idea? Easy? That's where we're flying out of - so
wondering whether to have a nice scenic(?) drive, or maybe it's better just
getting a cheap flight?!

Hwyl!
Geraint.

Geraint.

Both of these areas are great. I like Le Massif it has great terrain.
Usually has good snow. The view is spectacular as you are perched right
over the Gulf of St-Laurent. It also has the best on hill food I have
ever seen @ a ski resort. It is quite economical to stay a bit further
up the road in Baie St-Paul. It's a nice town with resonable hotels and
some good brew pubs. The area is quite scenic and there is a large
population of local artisans.

For Mte. Ste-Anne There are plenty of slopeside condos and a hotel.
These I find most convienient. Depending on the size of your party. A
condo may be the best bet. Some of the hotel rooms have kitchenettes so
if your just a couple you can make out alright. The historical city of
Quebec is about 40 minutes from Ste-Anne. But as you are coming from
Europe the "old-world" abiance may not be a big draw for you. If the
snow isn't great then Ste-Anne has superior snow making.

Montreal is a couple of hours drive from Quebec City. The drive is not
to spectacular. The weather can be an issue. The roads could be dry
and bare. Or you could get a total white out where you cant even see
the road.... or ditch... or bugger all else. Freezing rain is another
common nasty travel headache. If you have a lot of winter driving
experience it is less of an issue.