Old April 12th 05, 05:23 PM
VtSkier

In article ,
VtSkier wrote:

Titus,
Are you admitting that you didn't check the forward
pressure indicator to see if it was correct? I rest
my case.

Forward pressure indicator?
You mean the indicator on the front binding???
Of course I did check that. I did set the usual settings (plus 0.5) and
then I tested that (but in the home static environment :-).
Later on in the mountains I realised the bindings released every time
when I was skiing through the crud on the high speed...

TA

There are three indicators on most bindings in general and
on Markers in particular. The one you are noting above is
the DIN indicator for the toepiece. There is a similar
indicator for the heel. There is also an adjustment for
how much pressure the heel piece imparts to the boot sole
and so the toepiece. Part of this adjuster is usually an
indicator that tells you when the adjustment is correct
when observed WITH THE BOOT IN PLACE. For a Marker step-in
this is a large screw head near the bottom and rear of the
toepiece. This screw head needs to be flush with the housing
when forward pressure is correct. On the MRR, with its two
large springs on either side, I don't know for sure where
the adjuster is, but it's there someplace.

If a DIN setting of 5.0 works with your alpine boots, it
would be OK for your AT boots. However, it may be too
light for anything except cruisers and all else being
correct, this may be the source of your troubles. Static
testing of bindings as you describe is OK to test function,
but there is no replacement for proper testing by a
mechanic with the proper equipment. There are too many
variables. For instance the length of the boot sole
is as important as skier weight and ability for release
setting. It's a function of lever arm length.

You have described the DIN indicator on the toepiece and
asked me if it's the forward pressure indicator.

Please, for the sake of your legs, go to a shop and have
these things adjusted correctly and in the process, learn
how to adjust them for your different boots.

VtSKier