Old February 16th 04, 09:27 PM
Sharkie

Default Excessive Leg Strain Carving at High Speeds

(phil) wrote in message . com...
It's hard to say without seeing you do it. At risk of flame-throwers,
you might try dumping the duck stance. I haven't seen many duck people
carve at all, so that might be making it harder than it should be.

No, no, no, no, and no. Did I say no?

Duck stance is EXCELLENT stance for carving. I can't say how much
my carving improved since I switched from +30/+5 to +15/-15.
Both regular and switch for that matter. And I've seen several
people switch to duck and their carving improved as well.

I still do occasionally ride my hard setup with +58/+58 but for
my freeride/freestyle sessions it's duck stance. And I carve
hard, clean pencil lines and everything. Stance very relaxed - the original
poster's problem does not lie in his setup. There might be several
reasons for his back leg strain. Maybe he's twisted too much forward,
or he's pressing his knee too much inside or outside to help his steering.
Remember, carving is all about using your edge, no steering should be
necessary. Try to concentrate on pressing your edges and tilting your board
instead - see if that helps.