Old October 17th 20, 09:13 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Anyone try retro classic 3 wheel rollerskis

On Thursday, September 4, 2008 at 11:23:05 PM UTC-4, gr wrote:
john wrote:
I have been using the v2 150 roller skis and love them for our hilly
bumpy roads. I'd like a similar experience in a classic ski and was
looking at the retro classics with the big inflatable wheel up front
and two wheels like on the 125's out back. Wondering if anyone has
tried these. I especially like the speed reducers on my 150's, I can
crawl down steep hills if I want.

I'm using a V2 910 classic now with speed reducers, they are good but
I still get kind of spooked on the downhills sometimes, especially
when the road is all hacked up.

I tried a pair last year, hoping they would work well on compacted stone
dust trails or smoothed dirt.... but not flat enough and it felt like
going uphill all the time. On regular pavement they are nice, on new
fine pavement they are like gliding on the nicest snow. The ones I had
were the ones which used regular shoes or hiking boots.
gr

I have done classic on Aero 150s for nearly 20 years. I used them on the dirt roads that climb Mt. Royal her in Montreal. I never used outriggers, but this meant using very tight and stiff boots, which I don't much like. I have a pair of old Terra skis with I can use low-cut classic boots, but they can't handle rough dirt roads. I am currently converting my 150s to 150RCs -- 2 rear wheels. I'll soon be 70 and the occasional fall has a bit more impact these days and I want to ski the city bike paths through the winter, as I did last year. The city keeps those paths incredibly snow and ice-free with some kind of sal****er spray. I'll get back to you. I'm very slow these days and am not much concerned about the extra weight an lack of mobility -- I'm just straight ahead.