Old December 20th 10, 05:12 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Joe Ramirez

Default ankle injuries

On Dec 19, 9:22*am, "Mike M. Miskulin" wrote:
hey now - any of you ever hurt your ankle riding? *I'm told I have
a mild grade 2 sprain on my lead foot just below the knobby bone.
Was traversing on toe edge through about 8" of chop on a steep run,
was a little bouncy with frozen tundra underneath when I
heard and felt *pop*. *I didn't actually stop until the bottom
of the run and called it a day shortly after before seeking
the medical staff. *Hurts like a bitch still two days on, I
guess thats not unexpected either.

So any of you suffer through one of these? Recovery time? Did
it become a lingering injury? Freaking sucks too as was only
second day out this season but with holiday pass blackout I
at least get an extra week to recover.

I strained my left (lead) ankle my first time out this year. The
circumstances seem somewhat similar to your incident. I was toeside on
a slope that turned out to be frozen pretty solid. Lost the edge and
skidded downward, bouncing a little. When I got up my ankle was sore,
but I had no problem riding to the bottom of the run and then walking
in my boots to the parking lot. As I drove home, in my regular shoes,
I could feel the ankle tightening up. It was very sore for the rest of
the day -- hurt a lot to put any weight on it. Treated it with
ibuprofen, ice (actually frozen vegetables ), and elevation. After a
long night's sleep, it had improved a lot. Remained sore for a few
days, but my limping diminished rapidly. I didn't seek medical
attention, but I would have if my ankle had been as bad the second day
as it was the first. But it wasn't, which is why I say it was a strain
rather than a sprain.

In terms of whether it's lingering, I'd have to say not really,
although at the moment both of my ankle bones are a little sore to the
touch (I was riding the day before yesterday). But I attribute that to
breaking in brand new boots and bindings.