Old August 7th 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Koos van den Hout

Default Whitewater helmet for Snowboarding ?

Poser wrote in . com:
last week I bought a Shredready composite helmet designed for
wakeboarding, kitesurfing, kayaking.
According to my local dealer I can use it for Snowboarding, too.

- Does anybody know if this is right ? Are there big technical
difference between helmets for whitewater sports and helmets for
snowboarding / skiing ?

First: I have no experience with whitewater sports or the associated safety
gear. I'm a snowboarder who likes his head protected

My thoughts: both helmets will strive to keep your head protected from
impacts with rocks. On that point, they will probably be comparable.

A whitewhater sports helmet will try to get water away from your head as
soon as possible. I'd suspect such a helmet to have a somewhat 'open'
design for ventilation and draining.

A snowboard helmet will try to keep your head somewhat warm (depending
on the weather). Mine has ventilation holes with thingies to plug them
(which I usually use in cold winds).

My guess: your helmet can work on a snowboard, but can get cold.

Koos

--
Koos van den Hout, PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5 -?)