Old December 27th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default old bindings?

wrote:
My skis and bindings are about 15 years old. I haven't skiied in about
4 years. I took my skiis and boots in today to be tuned and was
immediately told that the tech wouldn't touch my bindings because he
can tell by looking at them they are ready to fall apart. They are
Salomons and I skiied perhaps a half dozen times a year for about 11
years straight. I am an intermediate skier, a lady of 66 years of
age. Is he giving me a line in order to sell me new bindings or is
this the norm? How can he possibly tell what condition they're in just
by looking at them or is the particular make/model prone to a short
life?

He can't. They may work as good as ever.
What he's probably telling you is they are so old they've fallen off the
indemnification list which is a list of binding models for which the
manufacturer is willing to protect the shop against legal claims.

But us old-timers have to stick together and even a die-hard like me can
attest that there's been a world of change in skiing in the last 15
years and new equipment just might keep you skiing and enjoying it for
another 15-20 years. Consider renting new pair of appropriate demo skis
and have fun.

P.S. It may be time for new boots, too. If so, buy boots before skis.