Old February 23rd 04, 09:59 PM
Gav

Default Smoking is something to share on the same seat

Jim Hutton wrote in message . ..
On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 10:18:09 GMT,
lid (Gav) wrote:

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:52:32 +0000 (UTC), "Crosbie Fitch"
wrote:

I was sharing a 2-seater chair lift with a chappie in Lech (Arlberg), and he
starts to get his Rizlas out, etc.

Oh oh. Warning.

He's not going to light it though... is he?

I wait for the last minute. Yep. Out comes the zippo lighter.

"You're not smoking that now." I say in a firm, but pleasant 'or you'll be
getting off early' kind of way.

Who died and made you king of the chairlift?

Who gave him the right to poison you ?

Please stop the amateur dramatics, I know this is usenet and all
but someone having a smoke on an openair, moving chairlift up a
mountain does not constitute 'poisoning' someone else. You get much
more 'poison' going into the air every time someone drives their car.

He looks back at me, catching my negative intonation and likely meaning, but
obviously not a fluent English speaker. A disdainful expression, and
slightly contemptuous shrug from him, and we return to our separate thoughts
for the rest of the journey...

I commend him for showing restraint in the face of self-righteous
****tish behaviour.

I'm not a smoker but I have no problem with people lighting up on
chairlifts. It's outdoors so I don't get affected by the smoke and
the chairlift ride typically only lasts a few minutes anyway.

Gav

In which case HE could have waited, and not imposed his poison on
fellow passengers.

Get a grip would you ... you sound like one of those anti smoking
fanatics. Maybe a reformed smoker? Always the most zealous.

Incidentally, do you feel the same in gondolas,
(which are typically non-smoking anyway) ? Even travelling in a
gondola which has been occupied earlier by smokers is disgusting.

I'm much less likely to be laid back about smoking in gondolas, for
what it's worth, given that the thread was about someone smoking on a
_chairlift_. But nice attempt at moving the goalposts.

Gav