Old November 27th 07, 06:57 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Default February Half-term - crowds

On Nov 27, 5:06 pm, "Paul" wrote:
"john elgy" wrote in message

Hi,

Despite desperately trying to get any other possible time to go, it
looks as though my wife and I are stuck with going skiing in the week
of the February half-term (Saturday 16th February - 23rd Feb).

The price hikes are painful enough, but if we're going to have to pay
through the nose, the crowds are going to rub salt into the wounds.
Where is best to go to avoid pistes like the M25 and half-hour queues
for lifts?

It's got to be Europe, and the following resorts look the closest to
being affordable:

Alpe d'Huez
La Plagne
Serre Chevalier
Flaine
Hopfgarten
Verbier
Pas de la Casa
Saas Fee

I'd really appreciate any steers. On the comfort/affordability front,
the Alpe d'Huez, Pas de la Casa and La Plagne options look nice, but
I'm concerned about their popularity - will everyone be there?

Cheers,

Andy Cooke
--

I would try and avoid France if possible. It will be very crowded. Without
doubt it will be the busiest week of the year.

John

We go to Italy if we have to go half-term. French don't go there, Italians
don't have them and, in any case, only ski long enough to justify the long
lunch. OTOH, can get crowded in the mountain restaurants if you don't get in
there early. Try Courmayeur (pricey, small, intermediate but with lots of
off-piste, and short transfer), Cervinia (cheap, bare, long intermediates,
connected to Zermatt) or Selva di Gardena (middle-price, touring for
intermediates, Austrian efficiency with Italian food, shortish transfer).

...or try North Americal where they also don't have half terms

Paul

Many thanks for the suggestions.
I've had a look around Italian resorts, and have found a pretty decent
deal to Sauze d'Oulx. £1170 in a catered Chalet for the pair of us.
(Most of the good prices to Cervinia and Selva di Gardena have gone by
now - we had to wait this late to book, unfortunately, but at least we
should get some decent skiing still).

Any advice as to Sauze d-Oulx would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers,
Andy