Old August 29th 03, 01:59 PM
Ace

Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:36:04 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote:

In , Alex Heney typed:
On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:13:37 +0100, "MoonMan"
wrote:

snip

Bottom posting is a pain! it is a remnant of using teletypes. Why
can't we move with the technology?

Bottom posting is the norm because that is the way we read.

the norm with email is to add your comment at the top, this is why OE
defaults to it.

a) it's not a universal norm

b) usenet |=email

it makes life simpler because the text which you have
responded to is always immediatly below what you are typing. this is still
linear text with the most relevant information at the top and older less
relevant information after it, much more logical and much more usable.

This may be fine and dandy in a two-way conversation, but usenet just
isn't like that. Somebody might be replying to a thread that's already
ten-deep, and will need to see exactly who said what to whom, in
response to what. This isn't easily done in a top-post stylee.

In internal emails one typically quotes the entirety of each post so
far, so one _could_ read them all, by going to the bottom and working
upwards, but on usenet it's accepted that quoted material is trimmed
to the relevant only.

And there are many occasions, even working in a company where
top-posting email is the rule, that I, and others, have resorted to
putting comments in-line with the previous posting, very much like is
normal on usenet.

Do you not like HTML because it isn't "the way we read"?

Many people use newsreaders that are not HTML-enabled so would be
unable to read it. Usenet is a text-only concept, so it's no good
saying all these peeps should upgrade to the latest Windoze kit,
particularly as many of them will have been around, using textonly
software, since before 'the internet' was born.

--
Ace (bruce dot rogers at roche dot com)