Old February 17th 05, 12:58 PM
Gary S.

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 04:22:13 GMT, "H.W. Stockman"
wrote:

I've considered getting a pair of rollerblades to improve my right-foot
response. I had a brain injury in 2002, and my right foot is partly
paralyzed. I've done some telemark turns since then, but the situation here
is rather odd, in terms of getting practice. I live in Las Vegas; even
though deep snow is only 50 minutes away, I can get out to the woods rather
infrequently, and the choice of ski areas has been limited by the avalanche
danger this season. The terrain here is mainly rather extreme -- very few
places nearby where one can practice.

I CAN get out often and run around my house, however -- I work at home, and
the mild ambient temperatures allow me to go for a 10-mile run twice a week,
which fits into my work schedule nicely. I've never used rollerblades
before, but I guess I could use my running days to blade instead.

So, does rollerblading do anything to improve skiing skills?

Another angle:

My college outing club had something at our cabin called a Bongo
Board, a skateboard size platform balanced on a roller about 5 inches
in diameter. It was advertised as something to help develop DH skiing
skills

You would stand facing perpendicular to the length of the board, and
balance. This would develop your balance, and ability to quickly shift
weight side-to-side as required for parallel skiing. Some people
learned to do various tricks on it like 360s.

More recently, I have seen something like this with a modified roller
which allows edging like with a snowboard, in a snowboard shop.

A tool like this may be helpful in your recovery, and relearning the
needed reflexes. You should also speak with a PT or OT connected with
a sports medicine practice, to get focused exercises.

Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

Gary D. Schwartz, Needham, MA, USA