Old October 27th 09, 08:12 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Paul S

Default Orelle Hotel

"Ace" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 17:29:01 +0100, BrritSki
wrote:

I'm pretty sure I've asked this ? before, but can't find it with google
gropes, so sorry for asking again if I did:

What is the best hotel to stay at in the Maurienne valley and skiing
over to Val Thorens via the Orelle link ?

No idea on that, I'm afraid. The only time I started from that side I
was staying in Valloire, which is a bus ride away.

Any ideas how long the lift takes to get to VT ?

It's about a ten minute ride up, IIRC, then another five on a chair
lift. Then it's just a question of how fast you ski! Probably five
minutes for a WC downhiller, 25 or so for a low intermediate.

We went there a few years ago in January, but stayed in Val Cenis and drove
to Orelle for a couple of days skiing in VT. There didn't seem to be much in
the way of amenities in Orelle - I'm not sure I'd consider staying there if
it's après ski you're after. Perhaps stay in Modane and take the short drive
every day. When we were there the snow was quite thin and there was only one
option of returning from VT. It was a little tricky and would have probably
been closed if there had been any alternative. Also one day that week they
closed the link because of high winds. However the good news is that there
are several other ski stations along the valley which can be fun for 1 or 2
days. Maybe base yourself at one of those? I'm pretty sure ( well it was the
case when we were there) that most of the ski passes for the local stations
have discounts for other stations and a free day at VT.

HTH

--
Paul S