Old March 3rd 09, 04:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Bob

Default Outdoor Glide Waxing

wrote:
The only waxing setup I have in my current home is outside in a
screened in porch.

What's the actual temperature out there?

I just scraped of LF7 and it sort of peeled off,
with sections turning white (air bubbles?) before coming off in
chunks.

An article said that this is a sign of not using a hot enough iron
when it happens with cold waxes.

I don't think of LF7 as a cold wax (though, it's pretty much the coldest
wax I ever put on, here in the Sierra), but if you try to scape it when
the ski is cold, it'll chip off.

I'm wondering if it's an indication
that the wax isn't bonding with the base because it cools down too
quickly.

Yes, the wax is probably not staying in the base. I don't think it's the
speed of cooling so much as the ski is too cold. It's OK to scrape when
the ski is still barely warm to the touch (say, 80F). If you wait for
the ski to get down to 40 or 50F, the wax will chip out instead of
scrape off.

Would appreciate any suggestions on how to make the situation work (I
try keeping the ski inside until last second, but I let it cool
outside, as it seemed too messy to bring it in with unscraped wax)...

Jon

When I wax at Auburn Ski Club (the coldest wax room in Tahoe ;-), I iron
both skis and immediately scrape the first ski, then the second. Then,
by the time I brush each ski, they're pretty cold.

Bob