Old December 19th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
VtSkier

Default strap-ons

Booker Bense wrote:
In article ,
dardruba wrote:

I've no idea what the military use these days but I presume they must have a
binding which grips a walking/working boot.
If so that should work on your boots.

I believe it's called a NATO binding for obvious
reasons. Rottefella makes it, Model 120. I think.

There is also a US military binding made by Ramer
(I think that's the manufacturer). They sometimes
come on ebay. I bought a set for about $25. Haven't
mounted them up yet as we have had a few dry winters.

This winter is beginning to shape up nicely though,
and I plan to have a lot less work on my house to do.

The Ramer bindings look like they can be made to fit
most anything. They were the binding of choice for
alpine touring 30 years ago. There was an article
in Powder last year about some early alpine touring
(1970's) and the gear they were using was mountaineering
boots, long skis and military bindings.

Heavy weight stuff to be sure, but might suit your
needs in the binding department as least.

I think the OP would be a lot better off switching to
a different boot maker. Not everybody has alpina shaped
feet, the other XC boots have a significantly different fit.

For example, Alpina's kill my feet, but I'm perfectly happy in
Rossignol boots.

_ Booker C. Bense