Old April 25th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Cartman

Default Scottie Sighting

In article ,
Sven Golly wrote:

(Jeff Davis) wrote in news:132t7l7baf55k43
@corp.supernews.com:

Pilot Error. And he dumped the bird in a residential neighborhood.

And you know this how? There's been no official statement or even
unofficial knowledgable speculation about what caused the crash. It's
still open as to whether it was mechanical or not. The pilot was not in
a close maneuver formation. Plus they just found the flight recorder.

To be fair, he did use the word "bird" to describe the airplane. I'm
pretty sure that only fighter pilots do that. Just like the only people
who ever say " 'Nam" are Vietnam Veterans. Except for wannabes and
posers, of course.

Jeff may correct in his "pilot error" statement, simply because of the
way these things are investigated and reported. The wings could have
fallen off mid-flight and the report would read something like "Pilot's
inability to maintain level flight in the absence of a functioning
airframe led to impact. (I actually admire that pilots tend to be held
responsible regardless of how insurmountable the obstacle they
encounter.)

I keep trying to think of a way to explain that this pilot was not a
"Rookie" by any stretch of the imagination. Then it occurred to me that
I was dealing with either "willful ignorance" or "truly gifted trouble
making."

Dave

/ I have a friend who had to eject from a F14 on take off in Oklahoma
City. His plane almost took out a K-mart. He did get his picture in
the paper. His co-pilot was fine too and there were NO injuries or
deaths on the ground. His engines quit on take off and despite
following his "engine cuts out on take-off checklist" to the letter (he
was one of the coolest guys I ever met) he found himself piloting a
plane with no power and "less than optimal aerodynamics for low speed
flight.

// He speaks very respectfully of guys who do carrier landings.

/// Q: How do tell if someone is a fighter pilot? A: He tells you