Old March 16th 06, 04:12 PM

"geoff" wrote in message
oups.com...
and I think they start to work in more powder conditions,

breaking trail, or generally in truer backcountry conditions.

That is exactly why I went for the new Mountain design. I wanted a
"true" backcountry ski, in my own definition at least. Which entailed
not deciding where exactly you would be at any time *hey those few
trees look cool* *oops, had to stop and deal with the dog in deep
snow kind of thing*. Plus, the conditions here in Northern Colorado
are changing all the time. We can go from piles of soft snow you shall
not break trail in any ski I don't care if it's a boat - down to a
nice thaw cycle with a nice shiney surface. And mind you, this is all
in motion and happens kinda fast here. I wanted to go with a true tour
setup as well, but the Mountain XCD ski is demanding of a burlier
setup just due to the width alone I imagine. Which is fine, because I
would like to have a Backcountry setup with a boot where I do not have
to worry about my feet becoming cold. I think the Garmont Excursion
will fit this bill. I won't mind sacrificing a little more touring
knowing I will be able to basically do whatever I want and not have to
worry about my toes freezing off. This is probably even more of a
consideration with true Backcountry skiing due to the fact you might go
out on a day trip and possibly have to belay.

I think the real question, once again, is what binding to throw on a
"Cirque Class" ski like this. Ok, I am probably not going to take
them to any Cirque, but I could, and I most likely would if I put a
cable binding on them. However, that certainly is not my intent with
these skis. I have two other AT setups for that sort of thing. I
guess it would be fun to use them at the ski resort area on the more
tame slopes and practice Tele turns and seeing how far I could push
them, but that also does not sound very wise in terms of I value my
equipment more than that. So we are once again, in the Backcountry
for a nice day of strolling with your dog and possibly making a few
turns that at least feel good!

I had to throw in a little extra fun though since I was worried I would
not float or glide as much as I had hoped with a pair of skis like
these, got em' in a 185cm length. I weigh no more than 130lbs and I
am short by european standards, so these skis should ride like a
train, but a very very fun train! Got a pair of moderately heavy
Alpina backcountry poles in a 145cm length as well, should prove to be
a good workout nonetheless! Sometimes I rethink about a 175cm length
for the Mountain ski but with a decent sized pack (which is typical for
backcountry travel) and all my gear I can easily start to edge closer
to the 150lb range.

I still would like to find a glidier setup, but unfortunately I think
I the Pinnacle would be the 'least' in terms of construction I would go
for the type of terrain where I live and play. My backyard is over 30
degree vertical in some spots! haha - sure wish it snowed at my
house more.

I haven't had enough time on either ski this season, but my thoughts were
similar - but geared towards the conditions I can expect here in
mid-Atlantic (WV mostly...) which is hardpack or less than a foot of powder
after a 'big' dump. I'm right at 150lb *w/out a pack* and I went with the
175 XCD-GT's. Last time I was out in icy conditions, I was very glad I had
NOT gone longer. My technique is probably lacking, but I opted to ski them
a little shorter. Don't have far to sink anyway (LOL) and I figure with a
pack on I'd be better off with more control - snowshoeing really...

I agree that you're into a different scale, even if not an order of
magnitude. The excursions are said to tour very well and I'd want the
control out west on 'big' snow. Around here, any thinsulated boot actually
makes my feet sweat! I also found the new Karhu boots run on the large
side, so that I'm wearing more sock than usual.

Sadly, all ski gear is probably going in storage today. Winter I think, is
over. I may take skis with me later in month when I visit Montreal.
Haven't decided if it's worth the hassle for a day of skiing....