Old December 25th 10, 12:15 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Meg

Default temporary wax for waxless skis when all stores are closed?

Hi. I am new to cross country skiing - bought them last year at the
end of the season, and we have occasional snow. They are Alpine
Control waxless skis. I did not have the trouble with the snow
sticking to the skis on the first snow, but it was much colder. Our
second snow today is a wetter snow and it's very difficult to move
without getting snowballs on the bottom of the skis.

OK, I read I should put a liquid glide wax on the skis, however it's
Christmas eve, all stores are closed - stores here don't sell cross
country equipment anyway so I will most likely have to order mail
order - though I may try REI - on Monday they are open, they sell
something called sxix universal temperature wax that appears to be
available from checking a product availability search. Another store
called the alpine shop here which sells things for downhill skiing has
something called home grown soy stick wax.

Do you know if either of these two will work? Is there anything I
might be able to get and use in the meantime that won't harm the skis
that might be obtainable from a walgreens, which is most likely the
only place open on Christmas. I am happy to mail order, but chances
are by the time it gets here the snow will be melted, and my holidays
where I have time to ski over with. I'm new at this, just doing it in
the park across the street - fairly flat ground but it's hard when one
ski sticks to the ground and I can't move. I thought I saw something
also about making your own wax using candles, online.

I don't check the email address on this acct - this is a throwaway
address to avoid spam - so replies here are best. Thanks!
Meg