Old October 24th 03, 08:00 PM
Sue

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

In message , BrritSki
writes

It's a big issue IMHO, if posts are taken from this NG then we could end
up with both being non sustainable.

Yes, especially as it's a seasonal sport, and groups left empty for
months on end can get colonised for other purposes. Soppy binaries of
children with no clothes on, for instance.
So if Pete didn't do grass skiing, somebody else'd have to.

The traffic issues will sort themselves though, one way or another.

Seems to me that the majority of posters here are from the UK originally
even if they don't still live here.

Yes, and I think the number of UK-resident users here is probably more
than we think. This group has that very knowledgeable hard core of
posters who live near the skiing, so it's natural for the rest of us to
sit back and let them tell it.
A group limited to UK-resident skiers would risk sharing everyone's
ignorance!

Let's not forget the UK is part of Europe - we do talk a bit about
Scotland and snowdomes here, but mainly if you live in the UK you're
going to ski on the mainland or in North America.
If it's the Continent you've got experts here (there's always a
Scandinavian around when you need one, too.)
If it's North America you actually want a group with lots of North
Americans so you can get advice from people who live near the skiing
there; then it makes sense to post to RSA (or RSAM if you really can't
stand fools.)

If people want technique threads I'm sure they'll start them - they're
like bumps, they don't spring up until people start skiing.
--
Sue ]