Old January 13th 05, 07:19 AM
Ace

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 05:42:21 -0000, "Mike M. Miskulin"
wrote:

Anyways.. maybe somebody can comment on this..
am missing an ear flap and was checking in on
one of the local shops today. I'm fairly sure
the guy was just trying to sell me on a new helmet,
but he was claiming that all (bike, ski, etc) need
to be replaced every 3 yrs as the foam core loses
its shock absorbtion ability. Sounds bogus to me
as the helmet is pretty well a sealed thing but
I've no real clue.

It's an often-quoted (by the manufacturers) guideline for motorcycle
helmets, although I think they say five years, not three. The rational
given is that as well as the foam core compressing (which definitely
does happen, leading to a looser fit) exposure to UV can affect the
composition of the shell over time as well.

Additionally (with m/c helmets) one is advised to junk them after
anything like a serious knock, as again the foam may have deformed, as
it's designed to, around the impact site, which will not be visible to
the naked eye, in addition ot potential damage to the shell itself.

--
Ace (brucedotrogers a.t rochedotcom)