Old November 23rd 10, 12:53 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Default Planned obsolescence?

On 11/22/10 14:35, Richard Henry wrote:

When I got the skis down from the garage attic to set them up for my
new/old boots, I took a look at one old pair with Look rotary heel and
"Sensor" toes. The toepieces were swinging around without constraint,
which I didn't remember them ever doing before. Then I noticed a big
metal spring lying on the floor, and THEN, I noticed that the toepiece
plastic shell had split in half (from the compression of the spring?),
and the missing parts were nowhere to be found.

Another thing I would rather not have known - when I took the bindings
off the skis, I saw that one of the screw holes had been originally
drilled about half a screw-width off, and a metal helicoil insert
installed to fix it.

Friend's GF bought brand new skis and bindings. When she got to the
hill she couldn't get one of them fastened. Turns out the shop had,
among other sins I guess, used screws too long and they pushed the base
away from the rest. Patroller managed to bash the boot into the binding
and the friend promised to ski slowly, and she got a new pair of skis
from the shop. She may never have used them again...

Dick's "expert" tried to remove one of my bindings with a regular
Phillips screwdriver. He didn't realize his error until I pointed out
the metal shavings he was creating. The place is right across the
street, but I won't even take FREE stuff from a place that dumb.

--
Cheers, Bev